In addition to our general post-op instructions, There are few specific things you should do following dental implant surgery with us –
- Do not brush in the area for several days. When you begin to brush do so very lightly and only with a soft toothbrush. There are very delicate sutures that we do not want to disturb. You may brush normally everywhere else in your mouth the day of surgery.
- You will use the prescription mouthwash (Peridex) 24 hrs after surgery to keep the area clean. Lightly rinse in the area of the implant several times a day as instructed.
- Take antibiotics as prescribed.
- In general, pain is usually controlled after dental implant surgery with only over the counter pain medications such as Tylenol, Advil, or Aleve. If this is not controlling the pain please contact our office.
- Mild swelling will likely develop in the are of the implant. Swelling or redness that causes severe pain is not normal and should be evaluated in our office.
- Please contact our office if your numbness does not go away within 24 hours.
- DO NOT chew in the area where the implant was placed. This is very important as it could damage the early stages of healing leading to implant failure.
- If you have a “flipper” or temporary in place it should not contact the implant or the tissue around the implant. If this occurs please contact our office or the office of the doctor who will be restoring your implants.
- You will be scheduled for a 2-3 week initial post-op check. It is VERY important for you to not miss any appointments for a check up early on in the healing process.
Please contact us if you have any questions.